Ottoman Cricket Club

Photo Gallery

View Full Gallery


No events at this time


kaaf logo



 Battery Mania

Fired up to have a result

E-mail Print PDF

Day 2 of the fixture started off on a “damp” note, excuse the pun. Friday afternoon rain had seeped underneath the covers and caused the wicket to become spongy in areas. After assessing the wicket, the umpires agreed that play would only be possible much later in the day as the sunny weather and some wind would offer assistance in drying out the pitch.


This set the scene for the players to sit down to a hearty breakfast, provided courtesy of Club Captain, Aslam Regal and others while Greenpoint CPUT players also went off for breakfast. The umpires continuously assessed the pitch and reported that there was slow progress, but this was too slow to the liking of the players, who were eager to get on with the game. It was eventually decided to speed up the process by making some fire “on the wicket”.

Fired up


Greenpoint CPUT (69.425 pts), fighting relegation alongside Glamorgan (60.875 pts) were both eager to obtain a win in their respective games. As news trickled in of situations at other games, Glamorgan vs Mitchell’s Plain being called off, Greenpoint, were even more keen on getting a result in the game. A win for them would almost certainly mean that they would avoid relegation.

The game eventually got underway at 14:00 with 69 overs of play left in the day. Ottoman CC declared their first innings on 140/8, three runs short of Greenpoint’s 143 all out. Greenpoint’s intentions were clear as they raced to 33 off 5 overs before Ottoman bowlers put the brakes on. Ottoman was dealt a blow when Mujahid Isaacs, attempting to take a catch, popped his shoulder and had to leave the field and Aslam Regal was called on to do 12th man duties. A few catches were dropped in the process, but in the end Greenpoint declared on 148/8 off 34 overs with contributions from S. Hughes (33) and D. Henry (26*), leaving Ottoman to chase 152 in 35 overs.

Ottoman’s made their intentions known as veteran, Taahir (Jiggy) Adams, was promoted to open the innings for the first time this season. The scoreboard immediately started ticking as Ottoman was intent to stay well ahead of the required run rate. Skipper, Muneer Holmes (17) was first to go after sharing a quick 48 run partnership with Taahir. This brought Faheem Adams to the wicket and he raced to 24 before losing his wicket with the score on 85. Taahir’s brother, Qaasim came in next but unfortunately fell to a well judged catch in the deep for 4 and he was soon followed by Aqeel Burns caught behind for 4 and Tohir Abrahams bowled for 9. Waleed Samsodien came in next and kept the scoreboard ticking, trying a few innovative shots.

Taahir 70                       

With Ottoman needing 12 runs off 12 balls, Taahir and Waleed were given licence to have a full go at it. The last over was set to be very entertaining if Ottoman had any intention of winning the game, as they needed 7 runs to win. Taahir’s innings had taken its toll as he was visibly tired and this lead to the ultimate sacrifice. With 6 needed off 5, fearing his tiredness might not allow him to run twos and result in Ottoman falling short of the target, he walked down the pitch and was stumped on 70.

In walked Ottoman’s very own Destroyer in Chief, Mujahid (Fanie) Isaacs, with his shoulder still very much in pain. First ball up, Mujahid went head down, gritted his teeth and sent the ball soaring over the boundary for 6 and giving Ottoman CC the win with 2 balls left. Both teams are to be commended for the sporting manner in which the game was played as they produced a very good game of cricket.


The day did not end there, as in Ottoman tradition, “it aint over till Ottoman sings”. Lead by Faghri (Faggles) Abrahams and Riyaad (Boene) Peters, it was evident from their rendition of Rosa and the OCC Anthem, that the “GEES” hand found them!!


Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 March 2013 11:00